- Build a customized searchable database. Our software allows medical students and instructors to build a searchable video database.
- Tag specific points within a recording either during live simulation lab observation or during the review process. These “markers” allow users to easily jump right to that point in the video similar to chapters in a DVD.
- Our system has been designed from the ground up with sensitive recording data in mind and as a result our granular customizable user permission structure fits the unique and challenging needs of our customers..
- Our system allows for both full SSL web traffic encryption as well as RTMPS video stream encryption. These security methods are often a compliance requirement in regards to sensitive data.
- Our simulated patient lab recording software integrates with the full line of Axis IP cameras.
- Use our client to turn any iOS device into a secure mobile capture and live streaming platform. Any device running our Beam application can integrate seamlessly with our back end VALT server(s).
- Control pan-tilt-zoom (PTZ) cameras remotely through the software interface. Users can also tie camera presets to scheduled recordings automating the movement of cameras.
MONITOR AND SCHEDULE
- Users can use this feature to schedule standardized patient lab recordings in advance. The schedule can be set to automatically recur on a daily, weekly or monthly basis allowing for complete automation of the recording process.
- Users are able to observe up to nine different rooms simultaneously.
Video Recording Solutions for Standardized Patient Labs
Standardized patient labs, also known as simulated patient labs or simply SPs, are an important tool for training medical and nursing students. Simulated patient labs employ outside individuals to act as medical patients in a wide variety of settings. Nursing and medical students acquire hands-on training when interacting with SPs, including patient diagnosis, physical examination, history taking, and patient management.
Using digital video to record standardized patient labs offers a new high-tech approach to improve the process. Video allows students to review their SP session, building confidence while identifying areas in need of improvement. Video lets aspiring students use technology to sharpen their professional skills and develop a greater understanding of the practitioner-patient relationship.
VALT by IVS is a powerful and inexpensive recording solution for students and instructors conducting standardized patient labs. The VALT system can simultaneously support dozens of cameras and microphones, ensuring nothing is missed during video review of an SP session. VALT can also live-stream, allowing instructors to remotely observe their students during their simulated patient labs.
VALT Video Recording Equipment for Standardized Patient Labs
VALT is an extremely unobtrusive video installation — students are hardly aware that they are being observed. VALT uses a central server to process and store all video content, meaning all that is required in the rooms are HD IP cameras, which are paired with high-quality auto-gaining microphones.
The cameras can be easily adjusted to record any viewing angle and can be both fixed or moveable. Video can be started and stopped instantly from within the room itself, or by a remote observer.
To review recorded simulated patient labs, instructors and students require nothing more than a simple Internet browser, such as Firefox, Safari, or Chrome. A standard Valt installation holds storage space for around 16,000 hours of high-definition video, though larger installs are available if needed. Each session is tagged with metadata, making it easy to look up individual video sessions. The vast storage space allows you to build a vast library of simulated patient lab recordings.
VALT Software for Standardized Patient Labs
Video for recording standardized patient labs is rendered in standard .mp4 format and uses h.264 compression, minimizing demands on the network and ensuring recorded video is immediately available for viewing, with no lag time due to rendering.
The VALT video software supports a “talkback” feature, which lets remote observers talk in real-time during the SPs to the students. “Talkback” is a powerful tool to correct or reinforce students’ interactions with the simulated patient, while the behaviors are still fresh in the students’ minds.
Off-Site Recording of Simulated Patient Labs
Our Beam mobile capture application records video sessions remotely, using only a smartphone or tablet. When your device connects to wi-fi, the Beam application automatically syncs the video with the main VALT server.
IVS can provide a complete turnkey solution that can be implemented by any internal IT department or by a third-party integrator. IVS works closely with every customer to ensure a successful installation of the VALT digital video system. Contact us at IVS to schedule a product demonstration or to request a quote.